Sunday, July 15, 2007

GOODBYE TO A LIFETIME

Well, this is the LAST DAY in our family house. I cried all last night. My sister was here all day Fri and Sat and we actually had a pleasant day together believe it or not. Friday night I had a couple of my friends over for a last BBQ feast on the deck, and we had a beautiful summer night out there. My friend Rich was supposed to come, but at the last minute, reneged, as he said he was still in the middle of working on re-tiling his hot tub with his workman. I was rather disappointed as he first told me he was coming and then kept calling saying he'd be on his way any minute, and then NOTHING.!! NEVER SHOWED UP!! And since our last conversation on the phone Friday night about 9:00 when he said he'd be on his way, I have not heard from him to this minute?! If he is gonna be flakey like that, then crap. Wouldn't feel comfortable asking him to my high school reunion dinner dance coming up in August and paying his meal and then having him not show up or something!

Anyway, my friends and my sister actuallly all got along great, socializing with them like I've never seen her do for ages. The next day her and I worked like dogs here getting EVERYTHING out of the house that will not be included in the estate sale. What a tedious and backbreaking JOB! Cleaned out 3 fridges and all the kitchen cupboards and we just didn't know what to do wih everything and all the food! We split up as much as possible, but still stuff left over.

Then the 2 of us actually had a very pleasant time having lunch out on the deck and taking some final photos together, which amazingly, she was a good sport about. My sister even planted mom's memorial forget-me-not seeds in the garden. It was our own little private memorial service so that Mom's spirit will live on here after we are long gone. Someday, when another family will be sitting in this garden, they will say, "oh look! Pretty little Forget-Me-Knots are blooming in our garden!". It was the best time we've spent together in years, and I was choked up all day.


When my sister went to leave last night, she also got choked up (yes! my usually unemotional sister!) although she tried not to show it, and then gave me a REAL hug - the first hug I can ever remember from her ever. I broke down and it was extremely emotional for me. As I saw her little car pull out of the driveway last night, I knew it was the end of an era, and went back upstairs and bawled my eyes out for 2 hours sitting in front of mama's picture, with a candle burning, and downed at least 2 bourbon and 7's

Today I am alone here at the house finalizing it and getting it ready for the estate sellers who are coming tomorrow morning at 10 a.m. to set up for the sale which will take place next Fri, Sat, and Sun. I plan to be here on an off during the week to check up on their setting-up progress and am prepared to sleep on the floor in a sleeping bag if they take the beds down. Still have cable TV hooked up so I'll be fine as long as I can sleep somewhere and have a TV and food.

The hardest part here is hauling things up and down these goddam stairs here at the house! That's one thing I'll be glad to see the last of! I haven't been home to my apt. for over a week! And I feel like I'm in a Twilight Zone here... don't know who I am any more or where I live....! My poor little kitty, Nefer, is getting traumatized being shuttled back and forth from my place to mom's house, and runs and hides if she so much as HEARS the harness and leash..

Well, it's almost 4 pm and still no word from Rich! That is a red flag if he first doesn't show up for a dinner invite and then doesn't even get back to me as to why he didn't! Yet, in all his emails and phone calls, he is flirty and coming on to me, so I know I am not reading anything into anything, I'm sure. Plus he invited up to his house a few weeks ago, and it is awesome. Lives in a mansion off of Old Petaluma Hill Rd., 2 boats, 1 RV, 3 cars, hot tub, 3 level home... ! Oh well, it's his move now, and that's that.

Farewell family home of 48 years. No more running home for Mom's TLC or homemade pumpkin pies at Thanksgiving. No more putting up the Christmas Tree and hanging our raggedy and years-worn socks on the mantle and doing our little holiday rituals. Simply and sadly, No More. Gone.

What the hell is life all about anyway.........

# of WET SOX IN THE HAMPER

Free Web Site Counter

Free Counters by Easy-Hit-Counters.com

Google Groups Subscribe to WETSOX-FRIENDS
Email:
Browse Archives at groups-beta.google.com